Certified Nursing Assistant - Med-Surg - Full-time Nights
- - Med/Surg
- Covington, LA, USA
- Full Time
Assists patients with activities of daily living, provides basic nursing care to non-acutely ill patients and assists in maintenance of a safe and clean environment under the direction and supervision of the registered nurse in charge of the team and/or unit. Assists Dietary Department as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides general aspect of basic nursing care to all patients within the nursing assistant's scope of practice that includes actions that meet psychosocial needs and physical needs to the standard of care to optimize patient safety.
- Meets communication needs of patients and treats patients and their family with respect and dignity.
- Assists in admission, transfer, and discharge of patient.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to team leader, co-workers and physicians.
- Communicates, documents, or otherwise report observations of patient behavior, complaints, or physical symptoms to RNs.
- Assists with feeding patients and maintaining fluid balance with technique appropriate for patient's age and physical condition.
- Provides explanation to patient and family prior to administering care to patient; answers questions within scope of practice. Gives explanations and verbal reassurances consistently to family and visitors.
- Consults other departments as appropriate to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient's needs, maintains a good working relationship within the department as well as with other departments by interacting professionally with co-workers and other healthcare providers.
- Assist with procedures and performs services requiring technical and manual skills under the direction of an RN.
- Responds to patient in emergency or physically distressful situations.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
- Demonstrates knowledge of disease entities.
- Able to perform treatments and ensures that medical and surgical asepsis is carried out during procedures.
- Assist dietary with cleaning trays and preparing food according to dietary guidelines.
- Change bed linens or make beds. Clean and sanitize patient rooms, bathrooms, examination rooms or other patient areas.
- Responsible for the recording/charting of height, weight, and vital signs along with input & output data of the patients. Meets current documentation standards and policies and completes within shift.
- Ability to perform a blood glucose using the FS glucose machine; able to remove IV Jelco; and able remove a foley catheter, all according to policy and procedures.
- Assists with turning or repositioning bedridden patients and provides physical support to assist patients to perform daily living activities such as getting out of bed, bathing, dressing, using the toilet, and standing, walking, or exercising.
- Collect specimens such as urine, feces, or sputum.
- Answers the patient call signals, signal lights, bell, intercom, and telephone in a timely and polite manner to determine patients' needs.
- Communicates ideas for improvement to the unit manager/charge nurse.
- Dietary Aid: Places food order for patients based on MD ordered diet
- Picks up food order from out-sourced cafeteria, re-warms and re-plates food for patient meals
- Picks up food trays from patient rooms and sanitizes dishes
- Records the percentage of meal eaten by patient, logs this information into the computer and reports to nurse any concerns
- Records food temperature per policy/procedure upon receipt of food to the facility
- Labels food containers per policy/procedure if food will not be eaten immediately
- Provides dietary surveys to patients, enters survey results in diet survey audit log and reports abnormal/unsatisfactory results to unit charge nurse
- Maintains daily meals ordered accounting log and submits to accounts payable
- Cleans all kitchen surfaces after each meal service per procedure. Takes out garbage.
- Orders food products for all unit beverage centers, dietary department and MD lounge
- Submits food order. Shops for food order at grocery store. Stores ordered food.
- Obtains MD food order daily. Stocks MD lounge.
- Keeps all storerooms neat, clean and organized.
- Maintains inventory of china, silverware and other dishes.
- Maintains kitchen temperature logs.
Action Orientation - Targets and achieves results, overcomes obstacles, accepts responsibility, establishes standards and responsibilities, creates a results-oriented environment, and follows through on actions.
Communications - Communicates well both verbally and in writing. Effectively conveys and shares information and ideas with others. Listens carefully and understands various viewpoints. Presents ideas clearly and concisely and understands relevant detail in presented information.
Creativity/Innovation - Generates novel ideas and develops or improves existing and new systems that challenge the status quo, takes risks, and encourages innovation.
Critical Judgment - Possesses the ability to define issues and focus on achieving workable solutions. Consistently does the right thing by performing with reliability.
Customer Orientation - Listens to customers, builds customer confidence, increases customer satisfaction, ensures commitments are met, sets appropriate customer expectations, and responds to customer needs.
Interpersonal Skills - Effectively and productively engages with others and establishes trust, credibility, and confidence with others.
Leadership - Motivates, empowers, inspires, collaborates with, and encourages others. Builds consensus when appropriate. Focuses team members on common goals.
Teamwork - Knows when and how to attract, develop, reward, and utilize teams to optimize results. Acts to build trust, inspire enthusiasm, encourage others, and help resolve conflicts and develop consensus in creating high-performance teams.
- Meets dress code standards and adheres to dress code policy.
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly.
- Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion.
- Attends annual review, department in-services, staff meetings and/or reviews all monthly staff meeting minutes per Health Stream.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Promotes professional growth of subordinates by sharing knowledge and/or directing them to sources if information appropriate to given situation. Utilizes journals, books, etc. to learn and/or improve new techniques and equipment.
- Assists other staff members in performing any duty that enhances the delivery of patient care.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Current BLS certification
- Minimum of one (1) year of related work or schooling experience
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires repetitive motions, standing, walking, bending, kneeling and stooping all day. The employee must frequently lift or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.