RN OR Circulator - Full-time
- - Operating Room
- Covington, LA, USA
- Full Time
Responsible for monitoring the procedures in operating rooms during surgery. During operations and other surgical procedures, the circulator assists by acting as an intermediary between the operating room staff and the rest of the hospital.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs the surgical preparation on the patients.
-Checks patient identification and date of birth by armband and verbally.
-Checks NPO status.
-Checks for patient allergies.
-Gathers appropriate supplies and equipment.
-Performs the prep in an aseptic technique.
- Performs Time Out.
- Makes an initial assessment of and determines the nursing needs of the patient assigned to their care.
-Assesses patient's physical and mental status.
-Reviews patient's medical and surgical history.
-Explains nursing procedures and actions taken to help reduce anxiety.
-Notifies surgeon and/or anesthesiologist of any pertinent physical or emotional findings.
- Checks the patient's medical record for completeness.
-Checks that consents are accurate with signature, date, and time.
-Verifies history & physical within 30 days; Update completed with signature, date, and time.
-Reviews Hand Off form prior to transporting patient to OR.
-Documents accurately on OR record and Implant record.
-Assists surgeon with documentation in CPSI.
-Accurately completes Care Plan tailored to meet the patient's needs.
- Facilitates a prompt turnover of the operating room.
-Checks OR board for assignment.
-Assists other staff members with the cleaning of the operating room.
-Maintains organized work area.
-Uses foresight to prepare for upcoming assignment.
-Secures appropriate supplies and equipment for the next assigned case.
-Opens up supplies with surgical tech.
- Insures safety and comfort of patients.
-Keep side rails up when transporting patient to and from OR.
-Provides warm blankets.
-Ensures that wheels are locked when transferring patient to and from stretcher and OR table.
-Safely positions patient on the OR table using safety strap and positioning aids.
-Applies return electrode to clean, dry, shaven (if necessary) muscular area and checks and documents condition
-Knowledgeable in the use and troubleshooting of equipment.
-Maintains DVT prophylaxis with use of SCDs.
- Accurately observes and monitors the environment of care closely.
-Aware of potential risks in the environment and reports to appropriate personnel.
-Communicates equipment malfunctions and reports to appropriate personnel.
- Performs competently in emergency situations.
-Remains calm in emergency situations.
-Can utilize emergency equipment appropriately.
-Maintains ACLS certification.
-Stays up to date on current practices.
- Maintains preference cards and accurately keys patient charges.
-Reviews charge sheet during cases for supplies opened.
-Makes necessary changes to preference cards as needed.
-Charges for appropriate number of items as needed.
-Verifies that supplies brought in by outside vendor have been pre-approved.
- Maintains supplies and orders those that are necessary.
-Takes initiative in preparing for new surgeon.
-Rotates stock and checks for expiration dates.
-Communicates surgeon's request for a special supply or instrument.
-Communicates in advance supplies needed for scheduled cases.
-Participates in hospital wide inventory.
-Self-directed in completing assignments.
-Participates in reprocessing program.
Charge Nurse Duties
Supervises the daily operation of the OR by:
- Coordinates staff and/or room assignments of procedures for the optimal use of equipment, space, and staff.
- Assures that needed equipment and supplies are available for all procedures.
- Ensures procedures begin in timely manner.
- Communicates with surgeons, anesthesia and, staff to assure consistent operational flow.
- Coordinates breaks and lunches for all operating room staff.
- Assists staff to expedite quick turnovers.
- Observes use and handling of supplies to decrease mishandling and breakage. Assures all equipment and supplies are put away.
- Supports vender policy and observer policy.
- Keeps Director abreast of all operational and/or occurrences within the department and participates with problem solving.
- Assists with orientation and performance evaluations of staff.
Action Orientation - Targets and achieves results, overcomes obstacles, accepts responsibility, establishes standards and responsibilities, creates a results-oriented environment, and follows through on actions.
Communications - Communicates well both verbally and in writing. Effectively conveys and shares information and ideas with others. Listens carefully and understands various viewpoints. Presents ideas clearly and concisely and understands relevant detail in presented information.
Creativity/Innovation - Generates novel ideas and develops or improves existing and new systems that challenge the status quo, takes risks, and encourages innovation.
Critical Judgment - Possesses the ability to define issues and focus on achieving workable solutions. Consistently does the right thing by performing with reliability.
Customer Orientation - Listens to customers, builds customer confidence, increases customer satisfaction, ensures commitments are met, sets appropriate customer expectations, and responds to customer needs.
Interpersonal Skills - Effectively and productively engages with others and establishes trust, credibility, and confidence with others.
Leadership - Motivates, empowers, inspires, collaborates with, and encourages others. Builds consensus when appropriate. Focuses team members on common goals.
Teamwork - Knows when and how to attract, develop, reward, and utilize teams to optimize results. Acts to build trust, inspire enthusiasm, encourage others, and help resolve conflicts and develop consensus in creating high-performance teams.
- Meets dress code standards and adheres to policy on "Attire in the Operating Room".
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly.
- Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion.
- Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled.
- Attends monthly staff meetings or reads staff meeting minutes.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Promotes professional growth of subordinates by sharing knowledge and/or directing them to sources if information appropriate to given situation. Utilizes journals, books, etc. to learn and/or improve new techniques and equipment.
- Assists other staff members in performing any duty that enhances the delivery of patient care.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Current state Registered Nurse licensure in state of Louisiana
- Current BLS and ACLS certification
- Current PALS recommended
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires repetitive motions, standing, walking, bending, kneeling and stooping all day. The employee must frequently lift or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Share This Page