Medical Lab Technologist - PRN
- - Laboratory
- Covington, LA, USA
Performs technical work in a limited number of routine and standardized medical laboratory tests. Tests are performed to aid in the diagnosis of disease and treatment of patients. Work is performed with a considerable degree of independence in the application of knowledge and techniques, and requires judgments in monitoring test procedures, quality control, and test interpretation. Work is performed under the supervision of the Director of Outpatient Services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs laboratory test including waived testing and moderate and high complexity testing including CBC's per the Beckman Coulter Act diff 2 and testing per the I-Stat.
- Shows proficiency in venipuncture and finger sticks.
- Tests, selects, and orders supplies, reagents, kits and equipment; keeps inventory of lab supplies.
- Maintains and updates the laboratory manual.
- Teaches routine procedures and orients staff to laboratory services and provides competency training for appropriate nursing personnel on lab procedures.
- Performs proficiency testing, monitors records, and maintains quality control.
- Maintains and calibrates lab equipment; cleans lab according to OSHA and CLIA regulations.
- Provides test results to requesting clinicians.
- Recognizes age specific lab values. Incorporates age specific parameters into interpretation of lab values.
- Knowledge of the variety of laboratory procedures applicable to the area(s) of work.
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment, instrumentation, and terminology.
- Thorough knowledge of exposure control and universal precautions.
- Wears PPE as indicated.
- Knowledge of the basic physiological processes being monitored and how the medical laboratory science is applied.
- Ability to make accurate observations and written reports of test results.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff and clients.
Action Orientation - Targets and achieves results, overcomes obstacles, accepts responsibility, establishes standards and responsibilities, creates a results-oriented environment, and follows through on actions.
Communications - Communicates well both verbally and in writing. Effectively conveys and shares information and ideas with others. Listens carefully and understands various viewpoints. Presents ideas clearly and concisely and understands relevant detail in presented information.
Creativity/Innovation - Generates novel ideas and develops or improves existing and new systems that challenge the status quo, takes risks, and encourages innovation.
Critical Judgment - Possesses the ability to define issues and focus on achieving workable solutions. Consistently does the right thing by performing with reliability.
Customer Orientation - Listens to customers, builds customer confidence, increases customer satisfaction, ensures commitments are met, sets appropriate customer expectations, and responds to customer needs.
Interpersonal Skills - Effectively and productively engages with others and establishes trust, credibility, and confidence with others.
Leadership - Motivates, empowers, inspires, collaborates with, and encourages others. Builds consensus when appropriate. Focuses team members on common goals.
Teamwork - Knows when and how to attract, develop, reward, and utilize teams to optimize results. Acts to build trust, inspire enthusiasm, encourage others, and help resolve conflicts and develop consensus in creating high-performance teams.
- Meets dress code standards and adheres to policies.
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly.
- Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion.
- Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled.
- Attends at least ____ staff meetings annually, reads and returns all monthly staff meeting minutes.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Promotes professional growth of subordinates by sharing knowledge and/or directing them to sources if information appropriate to given situation. Utilizes journals, books, etc. to learn and/or improve new techniques and equipment.
- Assists other staff members in performing any duty that enhances the delivery of patient care.
- Must have a current license issued by the state of Louisiana;
- Must be qualified under general supervisor standard 493.1461 or 493.1462; (CFR)
- Must have graduated from an accredited medical laboratory or clinical laboratory training program;
- Have at least 1 year of clinical laboratory training or experience in high complexity testing;
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires some repetitive motion, standing, walking, bending, kneeling and stooping all day. The employee must frequently lift or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Share This Page