RN or LPN - Pre-Op - Part-time
- - Pre-Op
- Covington, LA, USA
- Part Time
Provides care in the preoperative setting directed towards meeting the psychosocial and physical needs of the surgical patient. Communicates with the physicians about the patient's clinical condition regarding the planned surgical procedure. Care given reflects initiative and responsibility indicative of professional expectations. Utilizes initiative, is a self-starter and strives to maintain steady level of productivity. Is compatible, supportive, and a team player. Communicates on behalf of the patient (patient advocate); care provided reflects the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department. LPN works under the direction/supervision of a registered nurse.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to perform a head-to-toe assessment utilizing the Pre-Anesthetic Questionnaire/Medication Sheets for all patient populations and per facility policy.
- Ability to follow-up on orders for all surgeons and to follow up on orders per Anesthesia Guidelines.
- Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of facts, knowledge of diseases/surgical conditions, care required and good judgment. Identifies physical/mental problems of patient, reports changes to surgeon/anesthesiologist, and initiates appropriate actions.
- Performance reflects knowledge in all areas of care specific to pre-op area. LPN makes decisions within the scope of practice.
- Organizes and manages nursing activities with respect for the needs of the patient and their families and the needs of the hospital and staff.
- Identifies and addresses psychosocial needs of patients and family.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
- Assures pre-op interview rooms are equipped with all anticipated supplies, instruments, and equipment for all procedures. Assists co-workers as needed.
- Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; a self-starter; compatible and supportive; a team player.
- Knowledge of medications and correct documentation of same. Able to instruct patient on what medications to take pre-operatively.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Ability to formulate an individualized plan of care, as indicated, and evaluates for effectiveness.
- Formulates a teaching plan, based on identified patient learning needs, and evaluates effectiveness of learning; family is included in teaching, as appropriate, from pre-op to discharge.
- Provides patient with explanations and verbal reassurance consistently.
- Utilizes Universal Protocol (i.e. identifies patient using 2 identifiers and verifies procedure with patient).
- Ensures completion of documentation including but not limited to, H/P, consents, hand off communication tool, pre-op clearance, pre-anesthetic questionnaire, medication reconciliation form, allergies.
- Able to perform 12 Lead EKG. Able to recognize and follow up appropriately if further attention is needed.
- RN is able to perform waived or moderate complexity testing per clinical laboratory and unit policy and procedure. Able to interpret results of lab testing and take appropriate action on waived test results.
- LPN is able to perform waived testing per clinical laboratory and unit policy and procedure. Able to interpret results of lab testing and take appropriate action on waived test results.
- Coordinates and supervises preoperative patient care. Communicates appropriately and clearly to the departmental charge nurse or outpatient director, co-workers and physicians.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized, and functions under stressful situations.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity, maintains an environment that provides the patient and family with feelings of safety and security, practices good guest relations.
- Maintains a good working relationship and effective communication both within the department and with other departments for the benefit of the patient. Consults with other departments as needed to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient's needs.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies and completes within the shift.
RN Charge Nurse Responsibilities
- Makes daily patient assignments, monitors the surgery schedule and daily unit progress, reports changes to involved departments.
- Supports/oversees unit staff and monitors staffing efficiency. Staffs unit according to nursing standards. Supervises staff to ensure quality of nursing care, delegates' specific duties and tasks. Monitors daily time sheets.
- Provides and controls supplies and equipment needed for successful operation of the department. Directs and delegates control of inventories to ensure proper amounts available.
- Supervises care and cleanliness of equipment and supplies to ensure good working conditions.
- Effectively communicates pertinent issues to supervisor.
- Provides orientation to new staff members. Assists in the evaluation process.
- Promotes the hospital's mission, values and goals.
- Utilizes initiative, strives to maintain a steady level of productivity, completes assigned projects by due date.
- Knowledgeable of lab procedures and laboratory equipment.
- Participates in QA/PI activities, communicates results to staff.
- Completes duties as assigned by Nurse Manager.
Action Orientation - Targets and achieves results, overcomes obstacles, accepts responsibility, establishes standards and responsibilities, creates a results-oriented environment, and follows through on actions.
Communications - Communicates well both verbally and in writing. Effectively conveys and shares information and ideas with others. Listens carefully and understands various viewpoints. Presents ideas clearly and concisely and understands relevant detail in presented information.
Creativity/Innovation - Generates novel ideas and develops or improves existing and new systems that challenge the status quo, takes risks, and encourages innovation.
Critical Judgment - Possesses the ability to define issues and focus on achieving workable solutions. Consistently does the right thing by performing with reliability.
Customer Orientation - Listens to customers, builds customer confidence, increases customer satisfaction, ensures commitments are met, sets appropriate customer expectations, and responds to customer needs.
Interpersonal Skills - Effectively and productively engages with others and establishes trust, credibility, and confidence with others.
Leadership - Motivates, empowers, inspires, collaborates with, and encourages others. Builds consensus when appropriate. Focuses team members on common goals.
Teamwork - Knows when and how to attract, develop, reward, and utilize teams to optimize results. Acts to build trust, inspire enthusiasm, encourage others, and help resolve conflicts and develop consensus in creating high-performance teams.
- Meets dress code standards and adheres to policy
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly.
- Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion.
- Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled.
- Attends scheduled staff meetings or reads staff meeting minutes.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Promotes professional growth of subordinates by sharing knowledge and/or directing them to sources if information appropriate to given situation. Utilizes journals, books, etc. to learn and/or improve new techniques and equipment.
- Assists other staff members in performing any duty that enhances the delivery of patient care.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Current Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse licensure in the state of Louisiana
- Two years nursing experience preferred
- Current BLS certification for RN and LPN
- Current ACLS certification recommended for RN
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires repetitive motions, standing, walking, bending, kneeling and stooping all day. The employee must frequently lift or move items weighing over 100 pounds.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Share This Page