RN - Recovery Full time
- - Recovery
- Covington, LA, USA
- Full Time
Provides direct patient care to all patient populations. Addresses the psychosocial, physical and general aspects of care related to the surgical environment. Assists with the maintenance of PACU equipment and inventory. Participates in performance improvement activities. Responsible for monitoring patient's physiological status in the immediate postoperative environment. Communicates with surgeon and anesthesiologist continuously, and as needed, about patient conditions; receives direction for patient management. Intercedes to maintain optimum homeostasis. Is able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment. May be required to perform in the charge nurse role.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Able to perform a head-to-toe assessment on all patient populations and reassessments per facility policy. Provides care appropriate to disease condition and age of the patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of perioperative factors that alter immediate postoperative phase.
- Identifies physical symptoms and changes and takes appropriate action in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates knowledge of airway management and procedures and the ability to use the equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to assess cardio-respiratory systems for changes and provides appropriate treatment.
- Observes behavioral and physiologic changes due to medications, takes appropriate actions and documents.
- Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
- Demonstrates an ability to assist physicians with procedures. Carries out medical/surgical asepsis during treatments and special procedures.
- Knowledge of medications and their correct administration based on age of patient and clinical condition. Follows the five medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
- Carries out safety measures to prevent patient from harming him/herself or others.
- Assesses level of consciousness and promotes activity. Encourages T, C, and DB, by exercises and position changes.
- Demonstrates knowledge of anesthetic drugs, actions and side effects.
- Demonstrates knowledge of arterial lines, spinal and epidural catheters and documents pertinent clinical information per policy. Has knowledge of emergency medications.
- Ability to formulate an individualized plan of care. Ability to revise plan of care as indicated by the patient's response to treatment and evaluate overall plan for effectiveness. Formulates a teaching plan with patient and family based upon identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning. Interacts professionally with patient/family.
- Responds appropriately to patient in an emergency or per ACLS protocol.
- Communicates effectively and thoroughly the patient's condition upon transfer from PACU to the receiving unit Registered Nurse.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and good working relationships with co-workers and health care team members for the patient's benefit. Consults other departments as appropriate to provide an interdisciplinary approach to the patient's needs.
- Maintains regulatory agency requirements, hospital and nursing policies, procedures and standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge of cardiac monitoring, identifies dysrhythmias, and treats appropriately based upon facility protocol.
- Able to perform 12 lead EKG as indicated.
- Able to perform waived testing (point-of-care testing) or moderate complexity testing per clinical laboratory guidelines and unit policy and procedure. Able to interpret results of laboratory tests and take appropriate action on test results. Notifies physician of any abnormal lab/test results.
- Completes specially assigned duties consistently and as schedule allows.
- Documentation meets current standards and policies.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychological, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families. Functions as a liaison between patients, their families and other departments and other healthcare providers.
- Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; self-motivated. Organizes and manages activities reflecting due consideration for the needs of the department and staff.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Current state Registered Nurse licensure in the state of Louisiana
- Current BLS and ACLS certification
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Share This Page